The Resource Center for Independent Living can help you file your taxes

Are You Ready to File Your Taxes?

Posted December 10, 2011 by Beth in , ,


Starting January 1, 2012 everyone will be busy filing their 2011 Income taxes, Homestead tax refund, and/or Food Sales tax refund. The deadline to file is April 17, 2012.  Independent Living Specialists (ILS) at RCIL will be available to teach consumers that are interested to learn how to file their Homestead tax refund and Food Sales tax refund on their own.

There is a resource library in every RCIL office that has a computer and internet access if you prefer to file your tax refunds electronically.  You can use the library on your own or with ILS assistance.

If you are a person that would rather have someone do it for you every year there are free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance programs (VITA) in every local community.  They are trained by Internal Revenue Services (IRS) on how to file Homestead and Food Sales tax refunds and Incomes taxes electronically.  They will be available on a first come first served basis with evening appointments available.  To find out where your local VITA site in your area you can contact your local Department on Aging, Community Action Program, Senior Center, Public Library, or County Clerk.

To prepare your taxes you will need the following information:

  • Photo ID
  • Social Security cards for all persons claimed on each return
  • Birth dates for all dependents
  • All documents showing 2011 income such as W-2, 1099’s, Social Security year-end statements, and Unemployment statements
  • Interest & dividend statements
  • A copy of your 2011 return (if possible)
  • Real Estate Property Tax Statements (if applicable)
  • Persons claiming childcare expenses should bring name of provider, address, phone number, tax ID number, and amount paid
  • If you prefer to receive your refund checks as a direct deposit you should bring bank or credit union routing and account numbers


Beth has been with RCIL since 2007 and is the Information and Outreach Coordinator in our Osage City office. She takes information and referral calls and represents RCIL through community outreach.

Related Articles

National Survey on Health & Disability

By Mandy Smith | June 1, 2022

The National Survey on Health & Disability is conducting a survey on health care experiences. Any adult in the US over the age of 18 with any type of disability, mental illness or chronic health condition is encouraged to complete the survey. And if you choose, you can enter a drawing to win one of ten $100 gift cards!  What…

KSYLF Delegate Applications Due Feb 4th

By Mandy Smith | January 4, 2022

The 2022 Kansas Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities will be held July 11-16, 2022 at Washburn University in Topeka. The KSYLF is an annual conference that is heading into its 21st year serving students with disabilities across the state. During the forum, delegates enjoy a week full of learning, fun, friends, and, most of all, a new sense…

Stimulus Checks for SSI Recipients

By Adam | April 16, 2020

The U.S. Treasury Department has announced that individuals receiving SSDI and/or SSI will automatically be sent stimulus funds.   However, those who have who have qualifying children under age 17 must enter information as soon as possible to receive the $500 per dependent rebate.  Those who have dependents should visit the IRS website and complete the steps listed there. Here’s the…