Are You Ready to File Your Taxes?
Starting January 1, 2012 everyone will be busy filing their 2011 Income taxes, Homestead tax refund, and/or Food Sales tax refund. The deadline to file is April 17, 2012. Independent Living Specialists (ILS) at RCIL will be available to teach consumers that are interested to learn how to file their Homestead tax refund and Food Sales tax refund on their own.
There is a resource library in every RCIL office that has a computer and internet access if you prefer to file your tax refunds electronically. You can use the library on your own or with ILS assistance.
If you are a person that would rather have someone do it for you every year there are free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance programs (VITA) in every local community. They are trained by Internal Revenue Services (IRS) on how to file Homestead and Food Sales tax refunds and Incomes taxes electronically. They will be available on a first come first served basis with evening appointments available. To find out where your local VITA site in your area you can contact your local Department on Aging, Community Action Program, Senior Center, Public Library, or County Clerk.
To prepare your taxes you will need the following information:
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for all persons claimed on each return
- Birth dates for all dependents
- All documents showing 2011 income such as W-2, 1099’s, Social Security year-end statements, and Unemployment statements
- Interest & dividend statements
- A copy of your 2011 return (if possible)
- Real Estate Property Tax Statements (if applicable)
- Persons claiming childcare expenses should bring name of provider, address, phone number, tax ID number, and amount paid
- If you prefer to receive your refund checks as a direct deposit you should bring bank or credit union routing and account numbers