“Got Photo ID?”

Posted June 27, 2012 by Mandy Smith in

Kansas has recently changed its law about requiring an ID in order to vote.  (You may have seen a commercial lately about it.)  DO NOT let this stop you from voting! First off, a registered voter who does not possess any of the valid ID documents may obtain a FREE nondriver’s ID from the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Valid forms of ID include: driver’s license, nondriver identification card, concealed carry of handgun license, U.S. passport, U.S. military identification, student ID from accredited postsecondary institution, identification card issued by an Indian tribe, public assistance ID or employee badge issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office.  Also, persons over the age of 65 may use an expired photo ID document.

Individuals who have “a permanent disability or an illness which has been diagnosed as a permanent illness” may apply for permanent advance voting.  These individuals have their ballot mailed to their home every election and are exempted from the photographic identification requirements.

In order to receive the free nondriver’s ID, a person must be a registered voter, and not own any photographic ID documents.  The person must also have proof of their residence and identify (so, a piece of mail and birth that certificate.)  If a person doesn’t have a birth certificate, they can obtain a free one.

If you have any questions regarding a valid ID, obtaining a free ID, obtaining a birth certificate, or permant advanced voting contact the Secretary of State’s office at http://www.kssos.org/ or (785) 296-4564.

Mandy Smith

Mandy has worked at RCIL since June of 2009. She is a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist and provides services in 32 counties to individuals who are blind or have low vision and are 55 years and older.

Related Articles

Kansas ID Fee Waiver

By Mandy Smith | November 23, 2021

A photographic identification document is required to vote in Kansas. Any person who does not have a valid identification document may receive a fee waiver when applying for a Kansas nondriver’s ID (ID Card). All you have to do is fill out the form below (first link) and show evidence of voter registration. Below is also the link to register…

EmpowHer Camp

By Mandy Smith | March 19, 2021

EmpowHer Camp is a fun and exciting one year program for girls with disabilities ages 13-17 EmpowHer Camp starts with one week of adventurous camping in the Adirondacks where they explore nature, make friends, and laugh around the campfire. They also connect with mentors who will help them set goals and achieve them! After the camping trip is over, girls…

Register to Vote

By Mandy Smith | July 13, 2020

Tomorrow, July 14th, is the last day to register to vote for the primary election on August 4th.  You may register online, by mail, or in person.  The link to register is https://www.vote.org/register-to-vote/kansas/ According to vote411.org the process for an absentee ballot is as follows: To vote by mail, follow these instructions: Complete the application for an advance ballot Provide either your…