Advocacy: Call to Action!
The House & Senate conference committee for the FY 2013 budget have held four rounds of negotiations thus far. Next round is scheduled for 1:30 this afternoon.
Senate negotiators (Carolyn McGinn, John Vratil & Laura Kelly) have held firm on two items that are crucial to the disability community. Please take a moment and email them our thanks and encouragement for their continued support.
The 2 issues at stake currently are:
- Add $1.2M (All Funds) to the Home and Community Based Services/Physically Disabled waiver to fund an additional 60 individuals to meet maintenance of effort requirements for the Affordable Care Act.
- Add $350,000 (State General Funds) for grant funding of Centers for Independent Living
House negotiators (Marc Rhoades, Kasha Kelley, & Bill Feuerborn) do not appear willing to fund either of these items. Please take a moment and email each of these folks. You can use the KACIL Legislative Handout for talking points.
We need to make sure they understand:
- The importance of HCBS in maintaining dignity and independence, as well as it being a fiscally sound service delivery method.
- The vital role that Centers for Independent Living serve in the Kansas disability community.
- The toll that budget cuts have taken already on CILs and HCBS. (For example, downsizing staff and programs, waiting lists)