Watch the following video on how our RCIL Friends’ Group in Emporia was able to advocate for more accessible crosswalks!

“Stoplights Don’t Stop Us!”
“Stoplights Don’t Stop Us!” with audio description:





The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) is offering opportunities to attending public meetings regarding the State’s proposed renewal of the KanCare program and to provide comments about the renewal request application.

The public comment period will run from October 20-November 20, 2017. Comments will be accepted until midnight on November 20th and the State intends to submit the renewal request no later than December 31, 2017.

Information about the KanCare renewal request is available for public review on the KanCare website. A summary is also available on the KanCare Renewal page.  Copies of the renewal application will be located in Topeka at the reception desk for KDHE, 900 SW Jackson, LSOB 9th Floor, and the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS), New England Building, 503 S Kansas Ave.

Written comments about the KanCare extension request may be sent by email or mail:
KanCare Renewal c/o Becky Ross
KDHE-DHCF 900 SW Jackson
LSOB 9th Floor
Topeka, KS 66612

The schedule is below that includes two locations for November 14, 15, and 16. You also have a call-in option on November 20.

Tuesday, November 14 2:00pm-400pm
Pittsburg – Pittsburg State University: Overman Student Center Ballroom A 1701 S. Broadway St

Dodge City – Dodge House Hotel & Convention Center 2408 W Wyatt Earp

Wednesday, November 15 2:00-4:00pm
Olathe – Kansas State University Olathe: Great Plains A & B 22201 W Innovation Dr.

Great Bend – Perkins Restaurant & Bakery 2920 10th St.

Thursday, November 16  2:00-4:00pm
Topeka – Ramada Downtown: Jefferson Hall 420 SE 6th Street

Wichita – Wichita Marriott: Corporate Hills Ballroom 9100 Corporate Hills Dr.

Monday, November 20th 12:00-1:30pm
Toll Free Conference Call Option
(833) 791-5968    Conference Code: 871 777 85

On Tuesday, August 22nd an Action Alert went out to over 14,000 people asking people to take 30 seconds to fill out a form to ask their legislators to cosponsor the Disability Integration Act.

Of all the people from KS, 4 responded to this alert and of those who responded, 2 were from your District KS-02. That means your Senators received 4 messages urging them to cosponsor the Disability Integration Act and your Representative received 2 messages.

If you haven’t already done the alert, just take 30 seconds to click this link and fill in the boxes! Once you hit submit, the messages will be sent to your legislators urging them to cosponsor the Disability Integration Act! Click here:

If you did complete the action alert, you can still help! Put the link or your social media or email it to 5 friends! We need more people to urge their legislators to cosponsor this important bill! We know this bill is important to you, so please tell your friends and family about the Disability Integration Act and ask them to reach out to their legislators by completing this action alert!

Living in the community is a human and civil right that disabled people have been denied for too long! Together we can end the forcible institutionalization of people with disabilities!

RCIL will be hosting a voter registration drive at each office (locations listed below) on July 11th from 8:00am-3:00pm.

The primary election is on August 2nd and in order to vote you must be registered with correct documentation by July 12th.   Independent Living Specialists and other staff will be available on July 11th to help with the registration process and to answer related questions. Persons will be able to register online using the resource library computer or can use the traditional application.

According to a research article Disability, Voter Turnout, and Voting Difficulties in the 2012 Elections “People with disabilities were less likely to report voting in 2012 relative to people without disabilities, consistent with surveys for prior elections.”  Please remember that elected officials are in charge of the state budget, disability services, education and much more.  All of which effects persons with disabilities.  If people with disabilities do not register to vote, they can not vote.  If they do not vote, their voice and needs will not be heard.

Please visit one of our offices on July 11th to register to vote.

El Dorado
615 1/2 N. Main
El Dorado, KS 67042

215 W. Sixth Avenue Suite 202
Emporia, KS 66801

104 S. Washington Ave.
Iola, KS 66749

Osage City
1137 Laing
Osage City, KS 66523

Topeka (Closed 12:00pm-1:00pm)
1507 SW 21st Street Suite 203
Topeka, KS 66604


The Statewide Independent Living Council of Kansas, Inc. will be hosting a public comment forum over the State Plan for Independent Living(SPIL) for FFY 2017 to FFY 2019 on March 30th from 10am to 12pm. This is an opportunity to gather input, share comments and ask questions on the proposed  SPIL.  The forum will be webcast using interactive technology to connect people in 13 communities throughout Kansas.
The webcast will originate from the conference room on the 2nd floor of the Tower at the SILCK office located at the Downtown Ramada, 420 SE 6th Ave., Topeka, KS 66607.
The public may also attend the interactive webcast at any of the following locations:

1502 Lincoln St
Concordia, KS 66901 

Resource Center for Independent Living
215 W. Sixth Ave., Suite 202
Emporia, KS 66801

Garden City
Families Together, Inc.
1518 Taylor Plaza
Garden City, KS 67846 

2401 E. 13th St
Hays, KS 67601 

Prairie Independent Living Resource Center
17 S. Main St.
Hutchinson, KS 67501 

Kansas City
Coalition For Independence
626 Minnesota
Kansas City, KS 66101 

Independence Inc.
2001 Haskell Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66046 

Osage City
Resource Center for Independent Living
1137 Laing St.
Osage City, KS 66523 

Southeast Kansas Independent Living
1801 Main
Parsons, KS 67357 

Independent Connection
1710 Schilling Rd
Salina, KS 67401 

Topeka Independent Living Resource Center
501 SW Jackson, Suite 100
Topeka, KS 66603 

Three Rivers
504 Miller Drive
Wamego, KS 66547 

Independent Living Resource Center
3033 W. 2nd St
Wichita, KS 67203

The proposed State Plan for Independent Living will be available for review effective 2/22/16 at:

Individuals who wish to submit comments in writing may do so no later than 4/21/16, using the following email address:

For more information or to request accommodations, please contact Kathy Cooper, SILCK Executive Director at

785-234-6990 or email at  no later than noon 3/16/16.  All sites are accessible locations.



Don’t forget, November 4th is the General Election. 
If you are not able to vote that day, Kansas is one of the many states who allow early voting (by anyone).   If you require assistance with voting you may have someone enter the booth with you.  That person could be your family/friend or someone working at the election poll.  Educate yourself on the issues that are important for you and vote for the person you feel is the best candidate.

Voting Hotline for Kansans with Disabilities

Categorized: Advocacy



Tomorrow, November 6 is Election Day.  Please get out there and vote. 

The Disability Rights Center will have a hotline for Kansans with disabilities to call with any questions or concerns about voting rights for persons with disabilities until Tuesday, November 6th (Election Day) (TOMORROW) at 8PM.

People with disabilities should call the DRC Voting Hotline Toll-Free at (877) 776-1541 on Election Day from 7 am to 8 pm, or Monday through Friday between now and Election Day from 8 am to 5 pm.


  •  You must show a photo ID if you are going to vote at the polls.
  • BUT, if you apply for a permanent advance ballot, you do not have to show ID (you must have a permanent disability or illness).
  • To vote you must be registered!  Voter registration deadline is October 16, 2012
  • Get registered to vote now so you don’t have to hassle with proof of citzenship requirements that will begin January 1, 2013.
  • Once you are registered to vote, you also may qualify for a free non-drivers ID card (even if you have signed up for permanent advance voting).
  • Deadline to request permanent advanced voting is Friday, November 2, 2012.  However, if you do it earlier you will ensure you have enough time to mail your ballot back.

If you have more questions about voting visit one of the websites listed below.



Tuesday, October 16 Last day to register to vote in general election
Wednesday, October 17 Advance voting begins for general election
Friday, November 2 Deadline for voters to apply for advance voting ballots to be mailed
Monday, November 5 Noon deadline to cast advance voting ballots in person in office of County Election Officer
Tuesday, November 6
General Election
Advance voting ballots must be received in office of County Election Officer by close of polls


Kansas has recently changed its law about requiring an ID in order to vote.  (You may have seen a commercial lately about it.)  DO NOT let this stop you from voting! First off, a registered voter who does not possess any of the valid ID documents may obtain a FREE nondriver’s ID from the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Valid forms of ID include: driver’s license, nondriver identification card, concealed carry of handgun license, U.S. passport, U.S. military identification, student ID from accredited postsecondary institution, identification card issued by an Indian tribe, public assistance ID or employee badge issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office.  Also, persons over the age of 65 may use an expired photo ID document.

Individuals who have “a permanent disability or an illness which has been diagnosed as a permanent illness” may apply for permanent advance voting.  These individuals have their ballot mailed to their home every election and are exempted from the photographic identification requirements.

In order to receive the free nondriver’s ID, a person must be a registered voter, and not own any photographic ID documents.  The person must also have proof of their residence and identify (so, a piece of mail and birth that certificate.)  If a person doesn’t have a birth certificate, they can obtain a free one.

If you have any questions regarding a valid ID, obtaining a free ID, obtaining a birth certificate, or permant advanced voting contact the Secretary of State’s office at or (785) 296-4564.